Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 09:00:00 PST
On Mon, 7 Nov 1994 21:45:24 -0600 Douglas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I noticed this:
>> *** Forwarding note from SYLLABUS--CMSNAMES 11/07/94 13:18 ***
>That  cmsnames  host up there is one used by the Smithsonian Institution,
>which my system doesn't recognize as a valid host.

It's a small piece of "magic".  One long-standing limitation of the IBM
PROFS (Professional Office System) and OV/VM (OfficeVision/Virtual Machine)
packages is their restriction on only being able to handle "eight-by-eight"
addresses, e.g., [log in to unmask]

Therefore, over 5 years ago, one programmer at the University of Victoria (hi,
Joe!) wrote the 'PUMP' (PROFS UVic Mail Package), which allows the VM/CMS user
to send/receive RFC822-formatted E-mail, e.g., [log in to unmask]
For each incoming piece of E-mail from a "new" ID, PUMP can add an entry to the
user's "nickname" file.  When a user wishes to send E-mail to the ID associated
with the 'winship' entry in the user's nickname-file, the user must specify
'CMSNAMES(winship)' in the "TO:" field.

So, the 'CMSNAMES' entry is a "pseudo-BITNET-node", which indicates to PUMP
that additional processing is required.

PROFS or OV/VM users can send E-mail to 'UVVM(LISTSERV)'
and put the command:  'GET PUMP LISTING'
into the "body" of the E-mail, to get more information about PUMP.