Michael Quinion <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:10:43 +0100
Subscribers to my World Wide Words newsletter now often ask whether
it is possible to receive it in HTML format, rather than plain text.
At the moment, it only goes out in that format via RSS, but it would
be trivial to create a related version for the LISTSERV (both the RSS
and Web page versions are output from a database).

There would seem to be various possibilities, on the basis that a lot
of people would continue to want the text version:

a) create a second list for HTML subscribers

b) stick with one list but send two copies of the newsletter, using
Topics to distinguish them

c) send one message containing both formats (though I'm not at all
sure how to do this using my Pegasus mailer, nor whether the LISTSERV
would accept it; it's version 14.4).

d) something else entirely ...

Has anyone experience with sending two versions of newsletters, and
which would be the recommended way forward? (I know that many members
of this list would urge me to avoid HTML, and it's my preference,
too. But I'd like at least to explore the options, if there are any.)

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words