"Jeff Finlay, NYU" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 19:00:29 -0500
WINSHIP writes:

> The ones with specific topics are your more sophisticated
> subscribers who have looked at the header, seen that you have installed
> the Topics keyword, and know what it means and how to change their
> options.

It's impossible, I just put topics in a couple of days ago.
The users with specific TOPIC headings aren't that sophisticated -
I know them personally 8-).

>  Of course, that is rather futile on their part since you haven't
> announced the use of Topics so probably no one is putting the keywords in
> the subject line, so it's the same as not having Topics at all.  For
> Topics to work the subscribers have to know about it and cooperate by
> putting the keywords in the subject line, or there is no point to it.

Well, no, the list is moderated, so I've been sending to a few
experimental addresses with the TOPIC keywords.

> If you install
> Topics and then decide it isn't working for your list, is there any
> problem with just deleting it from the header?

I'd like to know too. Wouldn't want to wake up and find I had no list...

One thing further occurs to me. After installing TOPICs in the
header, I tried to set topics for my own address, which is also
the address listserv recognizes as listowner. So I sent a message
to listserv

        set h-amstdy topics: cfp inq info

Could that have caused the foul-up in some way? Could this have
affected just some people who were changing their subscription
options in some way?

Jeff