"HOLROYD,ALANA (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:42:00 -0400
Hi,

We have a handful of people within my organization that keep receiving these
"Probe failure" messages.  Although I'm fairly new to the listserv arena, I
would think that if you don't have the Probe feature set in the "Renewal="
setting nor "Auto-Delete=" in your list header, then this feature would be
disabled.  In fact, we don't even have the renewal config set up.  Any
thoughts?

Also, I don't know if it is associated with the above but, I also receive
"unknown user" bounces.  (I've attached these below) We are all receiving
email fine.  Everyone listed in the error are contained in the  "owner="
setting in all of our listservs (which makes me worry).

Thanks in advance for any clarification,

Alana

-----Original Message-----
From: L-Soft list server at Bluestone Software, Inc. (1.8d)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 3:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Probe failure for COMPETITION

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:37:41

[log in to unmask]  has  just  received the  enclosed  delivery
error as a result of a probe sent to your [log in to unmask] account for
the COMPETITION list. If you are reading this message, it means that your
mail system is successfully delivering mail to your mailbox, while at the
same time  reporting that an  error has occurred (or,  alternatively, the
error could be due to a system  problem which has since then been fixed).
At any rate, LISTSERV has no way  to know that you have actually received
the present message, and is operating  on the assumption that your e-mail
address is no longer valid. Typically, LISTSERV will send you one or more
additional probe  messages, on  a daily basis,  to determine  whether the
failure persists, and if so you will be removed from the list eventually.
Some lists are configured to remove users on the first failure.

Assuming you have not  been removed from the list yet,  you can stop this
process by sending the  following command to [log in to unmask]
as soon as possible:

                           CONFIRM COMPETITION

This will tell LISTSERV that your account actually does work and that you
still want to receive mail from the COMPETITION list.

While the CONFIRM command will solve your immediate problem, it is only a
matter  of time  until you  find yourself  in the  same situation  again.
Please take  a look  at the  enclosed error report  and try  to determine
whether it is a genuine error,  or just an informational message. Bear in
mind that this error report was  processed by a computer that cannot tell
"User JAIME24  does not exist" from  "Please note that the  Department of
Microbiology will be  closed from December 19 to January  2" or "Attempts
to deliver your message have been unsuccessful for 300 seconds; will keep
trying for  another 431700 seconds." These  informational messages, while
possibly useful  to a  human reader, should  not be sent  in answer  to a
message coming from a mailing list (it  is very easy for the mail program
to determine  whether a message is  coming from a mailing  list). Genuine
errors should be reported to  your computer/network support staff as soon
as possible so that they can be corrected.