"Jeff Finlay, NYU" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 03:50:49 -0500
I have two questions:

1) I run a busy list, and in order to keep the flow down a bit I
skim off announcements, etc., not totally related to the list's
subject and put them in news packages on the fileserver once
every few weeks. They are seasonal things, and fairly quickly
out of date.

Question: is there any way to delete (put) entire packages all
at once? It is a pain in the butt to have to keep revising the
filelist file by file.

Question: is there any way listserv will allow me to send it a
message saying something like

        put filename-1 filetype listname password
        put filename-2 filetype listname password
        put filename-3 filetype listname password

(etc), or will it insist I send a separate put message for each file?

(I imagine people will suggest using AFD as an alternative to the
packages, but AFD doesn't do what I need it to do).

2) I have recently installed TOPICS on my header and am testing it
out.

Question: is there any way to define the TOPICS so that some people
on the list only will receive certain messages? In other words, is
there a way the majority of subscribers can be set to receive everything
EXCEPT one particular topic which only a certain group will receive, in
effect allowing two conversations to go on simultaneously on the list?

I realize some may feel this to be a crass inversion of the use of TOPICS,
but I would like to know if it is possible. I have in mind to use TOPICS
for a project later in the year in which one list could carry on a
variety of specialized conversations.

Jeff