Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:00:35 -0400
A long, long time ago (last year actually, but doesn't it seem like much
longer?) those of us interested in news to mail gating were waiting for
American University to finally put the decommissioned gateway issue to rest
and transfer their admin authority for the bit.listserv newsgroups to the
new gateway server, Newsguy.com.  Last thing I saw from American University
was the post (copied below) from Peter O'Donnell.  I've had no luck at all
getting a peep out of anyone over there since.  Messages to Peter O'Donnell
don't bounce, but they go unanswered.  Right now the newsgroups that were
set up by Jim McIntosh for news to mail gating are orphaned.  Most are
empty now, but a few are still getting messages.  The problem is that no
one can make any changes to these newsgroups.  They can't be modified, or
cancelled, without the command coming from AU.  It would make sense for
them to once-and-for-all be rid of the gateway, help us out, and transfer
the admin authority to Mike at Newsguy.  Does anyone have a contact at AU
that can help?  This is getting critical, at least for my list.

Thanks,
Mike Holloway

> From: [log in to unmask] (Peter M. O'Donnell)
> Subject: Re: Admin authority for bit.listserv.* groups moving?
> Date: 24 Aug 1998 00:00:00 GMT
> Newsgroups: bit.admin

> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> : Now that Newsguy is taking over the gateway duties from American
Univerisity,
> : does anyone know if admin authority is needed for changing, or
deleting,
> : bit.listserv groups created by American University?  If so, can that
> : authority be transferred?
>
>         once we decide that everything is in good order, i will be happy
> give the keys to whoever at newsguy. until then, we (i) remain the sole
> keyholder for the signatory stuff.
>
> : I'll keep posting this at regular intervals.  No one's answered past
> : inquiries, and no response has been forthcoming from American
University for
> : several weeks now.
>
>         just ask, we'll respond. we have been *very* busy. the mainframe
> isn't scheduled to go away until the end of april 1999, so we have some
time
> to get everything in line.
>         oh, and if you are reading and care---
>
> WE ARE GETTING A NEW MACHINE TO HOST LISTSERV ON!!!!!!
> YEEEE!!!!
>
> - --

~~~~~~
>     Peter M. O'Donnell    }    [log in to unmask]    { "Cynicism was my
whiskey
> Unix Systems Administrator{-------------------------}   and I had a
few..."
>    "Clickity-Clickity"    }      202-885-3806       {      -Bruce
McCulloch