Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:51:55 -0500
Dear LSTOWN-L readers,

The anti-spam measure described in today's posts seemed like a good idea, so
I edited our list header to:

Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm,Non-Member

Then I asked my boss if she would kindly unsubscribe and then send me a
message, which she obligingly did.  As editor, I got a message inviting me
to click on the link to approve her message, just as with all messages
previously submitted by anyone.  This wasn't what I expected.  I believed
that she would get a message back with a link to click on, to prove that she
really was a person rather than a spam-generating machine, and that she
really did want to send a message to the list.

We tried again an hour or so later, in case there was some delay in message
processing - same results.  I just did a "Review" and her name is not
present, but that of someone who subscribed later today is, so listserv 1.8e
is apparently doing its job in keeping the membership roles up-to-date.

So, what am I missing here?  Thanks - Ian

Ian Fairclough
Listowner, DEWEYERROR list
Marion Public Library