Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:09:27 -0500
I have a need at the present time to assign a LISTSERV password to a specific
e-mail address.  To complicate matters slightly(?), the e-mail address I need
to assign a LISTSERV password to is actually an e-mail list itself (though
not a LISTSERV list), and I have assigned the LISTSERV keyword Validate= Yes
for the list in question.

To give some background information, my list is presently undergoing some
administrative changes, and among other things, it was decided that there
needed to be a more automated process for allowing people to subscribe
themselves to the list.  Nonetheless, the present administrators feel that
we still need to have at least active oversight into who is joining as there are
specific restrictions on list membership (as this is a medical support e-mail
list) and also final approval before people are added to the list.  One of
the administrators has designed a web form which suits our purposes quite
well.  All that needs to be done now is to make it possible for a specific
e-mail address to be assigned a LISTSERV password, which can be coded into
the automated processing script.  I don't believe this is something I can
do from this end.  In order to set a LISTSERV password, I need to send
a PW ADD command request from the address I want to assign the password for,
and since that address is itself a list, that is rather problematic.
Does anybody here have any ideas as to how I might solve this problem?

Glenn Alperin
Please respond by direct e-mail as I am not presently an active participant
on this list.