Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 13:52:20 -0500
Hello:

I have a list that I want to use to broadcast 'official news' messages and
the messages will only come from a select few people. I understand that
LISTSERV facilitates this very nicely and has options to prevent forgery of
mail that are very easy to use from a human perspective. My understanding
is that this is the kind of thing I want in the header of my list:

*  Send= Editor, Hold
*  Editor = [log in to unmask]

In this case, even if *I* send a message to the list, I will be sent a
confirmation request to OK the message.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to send a message to force
immediate approval on receipt.  I have a computer program which is going to
generate the messages and I'd like to have it set so that the messages
generated by the program are immediately broadcast to the list without
first going to the editor. I am concerned about the potential for malicious
users to forge their "From: " address to that of an authorized sender, so
that is why I don't want to just add the authorized address to the Editor
specification.

Failing some nifty header magic, is there a way to send a message to
LISTSERV itself rather than the list with a JOB that tells LISTSERV (with a
password included) to distribute the enclosed message to the XXXX-L list?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Hunnibell