Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:09:01 -0500
Sorry to interrupt the password discussion (about which I may say something
later), guys, but I know nothing about Lotus Notes and the LSTOWN-L
archives, from 0/0/1, aren't conclusive.

I have this from a subscriber using Lotus Notes Release 6.0.4 June 01,
2004.
                     ---------------------

I have received my first digest and I couldn't open any issue inside it. I
either got "This page cannot be displayed" or "No matching content found
for this address". I wonder if this is the system's problem or it is my
computer's. How should I do about it?
                      ----------------------

I know nothing about Lotus Notes.  I checked the LSTOWN-L archives from
0/0/1 (by email, thank you) because I remembered that there had been
something about it.  The only thing relevant has to do with the INDEX
option and various combinations of MIME/NOMIME and HTML/NOHTML.
The thread is not conclusive (no report on how well the last tried
setting worked).  But that was in 2002, concerning 1.8e and an older
Lotus Notes.

What I gathered, thinking that if it works for INEDEX it ought to work for
DIGEST, was that DIGEST NOMIME HTML , might work.  Will it?  Or is there no
LISTSERV setting which will work with Lotus Notes (I did notice postings
indicating that Lotus Notes and LISTSERV are not very compatible, but that
was in 2002).

Background.  The list, since a month ago, runs on 14.4.  The default for
all my lists is NOMIME NOHTML (this person just subscribed, immediately set
himself to DIGEST MIME HTML (knew enough to do that, but not enough to send
his question to listname-request rather than to the list itself (sigh))).
The digests contain nothing but plain text (list header blocks HTML and all
attachments), and are edited to get rid of excess quoting from prior posts.
And I watch for things like a period in the first column which some systems
interpret, or used to, as an end of file flag.  So, I don't think the
problem is attachments, or anything like that, though I won't exclude some
sort of v rus/s am/ naughty word filter, while also thinking such unlikely
in this instance.

So, is there a MIME/NOMIME HTML/NOHTML combination which works best with
Lotus Notes 6.0.4, if the person doesn't want the NOMIME NOHTML default,
which produces entirely plain text?

Or, is there some setting the subscriber needs to set in his Lotus Notes?

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]