John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:28:43 -0400
> Greetings:
>
> I am in the process of moving my list from one host to another. I would
> like to move at least a couple of month of archives from the old server to
> the new. The old host uses version 1.8d. The new host uses version 1.8e. Is
> it possible to move archives so that they will be available through the web
> based interface? If so, how can it be done. Any assistance is appreciated.

Send this command to LISTSERV at the old site:

INDEX listname

This will send you a list of the notebook file names.
Then issue a GET filename   command for each archive you want a copy of.
You can send as many as you need in one message as long as each command is
on a separate line.

Once you have the notebooks, you simply PUT each notebook to the new
server.

However, before you can do that your list will have to be established on
the new server and you need to acquire a personal PW. Also, since the list
is new on that server, a simple PUT of the notebook archives will not work
because those file names haven't been established. The Postmaster will
have to create some stub files in the notebook directory with the same
file names of the ones you want to PUT.

Alternately you can FTP them from the old to the new if that is allowed.
You could also convert the output of the GET to a properly named text
file. Then attach them to a message to the Postmaster. Then they simply
drop them in the notebook directory. With this method you must know and
keep the notebook files in the proper format.