Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:00:03 -0400
>Is there any way, in listserv, to refuse file attachments?  I know that
>several services (such as AOL) have problems with attachments -
>particularly in the digest mode.  As much as I try to remind people NOT to
>send file attachments, some still do - and some mailers automatically
>insert an attachment.

This is one of the things on my LISTSERV wish list.  The other is a way
to filter messages containing keywords in the subject line or body.  I
would not like to reject such postings, though.

Our subscribers are allowed to post message without review for the most
part.  Right now whenever someone sends an attachment, we set them to
REVIEW and let them know that they have a problem.  Any subsequent
postings from them must be approved by the moderator.  We can then
decide to edit out the attachment ourselves or simply to return the
message with an explanation.  We prefer to make those decisions on an
individual basis.  This procedure has solved most of our attachment
problems because these tend to come from the same people.  A preemptive
filter would indeed be nicer for many reasons.

Bob
Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
co-owner of FLTEACH              | State Univ. of New York Cortland
Foreign Language Teaching Forum  |
http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/ | http://snycorva.cortland.edu/~ponterior/