Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:58:28 -0400
I'll offer 3 comments (but I think no surprises) ...

You haven't told us what they were screaming, nor we know how the Yahoo
Group or LISTSERV list was setup, nor do we know how you prepared them
for the change, except to say a change was coming.  It's hard to comment
w/o something more concrete.

Except in very special, brief circumstances, I've always had a policy
that discussing the list or problems one has with the list is off-topic
and not welcome on-the-list!   Whenever there is something new, people
get frustrated, and with some, the frustration turns to anger beyond
reason.  Some people skip right past frustration and express their anger
immediately (Case in point: the idiot on TV with Mike Meyers from LA
this past weekend).    I had one list where I setup another list for
discussion of the first.  It was used for a couple of years (until the
membership matured).

Yahoo Groups offers a beautiful interface, albeit with advertisements.
LISTSERV offers a very good interface with tremendous capability and
flexibility, but not quite as slick when used for the first time.  Also,
a list owner has more freedom to tailor the LISTSERV interface to the
audience.

Hope this helps!

cheers, wayne