Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:50:15 -0500
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Russ Hunt wrote:
> A quick bit of explanation (and thanks to Pete Weiss, who
> cleared this up for me off list): my problem was that my lists
> (like all 14.4 lists) were private by default, and taking
> "private" out of the configuration line didn't change that.  I
> had to put "public" in the line -- and after that, the addresses
> were masked (except to subscribers with a password). Which is
> what I wanted.

Well,  if you are not a subscriber, can you still look at the complete
text, which will inlude email addresses, without any password?

Or, if you can't, if all the nonsubscriber with no password can ever
see is the listing, how is it of benefit to nonsubscribers?

Or, if you are a nonsubscriber, and you can see the complete text if you
ask for it, though you can't see it in some listing of postings, what's
the point?

And, if you can't see the complete text unless your are subsscribed and
have a password:
> had to put "public" in the line -- and after that, the addresses
> were masked (except to subscribers with a password).
how is it functionally different from "private", where to see anything
you must be subscribed and get a password?

Public:  You must be subscribed and have a password
Private: You must be subscribed and have a password

What's the difference?  If to "unmask" you must be a subscriber and
have a password, what's the point, especially if you can see the entire
text, with email addresses, by looking at the entire text, rather than a
listing, where you can't see the addresses?

This seem such a "well, it ain't private, but sort of is, but it ain't
public, but sort of is, but not really, it's more private than public, but
not exactly" that I am still at a loss to understand.

So I'm dense, I do *not* understand the rationale behind this, nor why
LSOFT would create such a scheme.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]