Thomas Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 21:10:49 --900
Can anyone explain the following?  When a node has both a Bitnet and
an Internet address, there seem to be three ways that the address
is registered when someone sends in a subscription:

     xxxxx@yyyyyy (bitnet)
     [log in to unmask] (internet)
     [log in to unmask]   (in the case of our list)

Under what conditions does it get registered which way?  I know that
one factor is whether the person sent in the subscription request
via the bitnet address (LISTSERV@CUNYVM) or internet address

The reason I am asking this now, is a subscriber wrote saying that
no matter WHICH address she tried, she was told that she was "not
authorized."  Her subscription bears the following address:

When she submitted her help request to our TESLHELP help line,
however, this address appeared in the header, but the bitnet
style address appeared in the body of the message!!  It would
thus appear that theaddress matching her registered address
was actually available to the LISTSERV, but it was looking
somewhere else and picked up a different version of the address
and then rejected her.