Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:51:07 -0800
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Kevin Parris asked about how to obtain the original
sender's e-mail address from a list message using MS Outlook.

For one thing, it makes a difference if the subscriber is receiving list
messages in individual message delivery format vs. digests.  I would assume
that this subscriber must be receiving individual messages.

I don't normally use MS Outlook for any of my list subscriptions, but my
employer uses it for our work e-mail, so I used a subscription under that
address for testing purposes.  In digest format, the original sender's e-mail
address is obvious.  This is an example of the header of a message from a
digest:

  Date:    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:28:38 -0500
  From:    [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Advice

In this case, the original sender's address is obvious.

In individual message format, the From: line of each message comes through as:

  An EEAC List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of [log in to unmask]

(The "An EEAC List" and "[log in to unmask]" are set in our list header.)

Kevin's subscriber should be able to obtain the original sender's address from
the "on behalf of" entry.  In addition, even though, based on the list
configuration, the list posting address appears in the To: line if the
subscriber uses Reply or Reply to All, the "on behalf of" line should appear in
the body of the message if Outlook is configured with "Include original message
text".

I notice that Kevin's list is configured with:

Reply-to= List,Ignore

If he changes that to:

Reply-to= List,Respect

and the original sender's message header includes a Reply-to entry, the reply
will be addressed to the original sender.

Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org

http://farechase.yahoo.com