Sat, 9 Dec 1995 15:03:23 -0600
Mentor,
  To get away from the heated debate about mail headers, I've had
the same problem, but it came from formatting garbage left from
a word processor.  The guy that sent me the file swore up and down he
had converted to lower order ASCII (and, his other two files were fine).
It drove me up the wall, I *knew* I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I got around it by sending a copy to my colistowner, who is at the host
site and works on the same VM machine, with instructions on how to do an
LSVPUT, which I can't do from down here.  She followed my instructions
and the file went in, no problem.  I then "got" the file from the filelist
and bingo!  all the garbage showed up.  I just edited it all out and
put the file back in my usual way.

If you want diacritics, like an umlauted e, I'm afraid you're just
going to have to skip them and stick with lower order ASCII.  That's
what they do with Russian in books and newspapers.  You're just
supposed to know which is a "ye" and which is a "yo."  Been doing it
that way since they've had printing presses.  Too much trouble to have
the extra character when they can use just a plain "e" and leave it to
the reader to know which it's supposed to be.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L