Tue, 26 Jul 1994 21:28:22 -0400
Since I have this nice database of detailed LISTSERV information at
my disposal (because of the Magnet work I'm doing), I thought it
would be fun to get some statistics on LISTSERV lists.  Eric might
have posted info like this already.  If so...sorry!

I'm looking for ways to show Internet newbies why LISTSERV is so
much better than USENET, even though the trade rags never mention
LISTSERV but babble on and on and on about alt.sex.barney or some
other intellectual nirvana.  Of course, there is good stuff on
USENET, but nowhere near the consistent quality of material found
on LISTSERV lists. Of course, I should mention the vast
intellectual resources of the participants, especially the list
owners. <end pulpit mode>

I was suprised how popular the NEWS lists were, especially with
China having 5 or so of the top 20.

Without further ado, here is what I found:

   LISTSERV Statistics
   Accurate as of July 25, 1994
   Calculated by John Buckman with detailed numbers from Eric Thomas.

   1,086,800 subscribers
   An average of 215 subscribers per list

   161 have more than 1000 subscribers
   442 have 500 or more subscribers
   858 have 300 or more subscribers
   1310 have 200 or more subscribers
   2094 have 100 or more subscribers
   553 have 5 or less subscribers

Top 20 lists:

Name       Description                              Subs
----       -----------                              -----
MINI-AIR   MINI-AIR: The Mini-Annals of             18062
           Improbable Research
TOP-TEN    TOP-TEN: Late Show Top Ten               17945
           List mailing list
GOPHERN    GOPHERN: Let's Go Gopherin'              17777
CNDPSU-L   CNDPSU-L: China News Digest               9860
           (Global Service) IV
CCMAN-L    CCMAN-L: CND Chinese Magazine             9492
           Network
TIDBITS    TIDBITS: TidBITS - a                      9429
           newsletter for Mac users
NEW-LIST   NEW-LIST: NEW-LIST - New List             8840
           Announcements (North Dakota
           Higher Education Computer
           Network, Fargo, ND)
CHINA-ND   CHINA-ND: China News Digest               8755
           (US News)
PACS-L     PACS-L: Public-Access Computer            8283
           Systems Forum
RFERL-L    RFERL-L: RFE/RL Research                  7975
           Institute Daily Report
LINGUIST   LINGUIST: The LINGUIST                    5056
           Discussion List
ISRAELINE  ISRAELINE: Israeline - Israeli            5031
           Consulate, NY
NNEWS      NNEWS: Network-News                       4575
FEDJOBS    FEDJOBS: Federal Job Bulletin             4336
           Board
INDIA-D    INDIA-D: The India News &                 4261
           Discussion Network at UKCC
           (University of Kentucky,
           Lexington Kentucky 40506)
ET-ANN     ET-ANN: Announcements:                    4243
           Ecotechnology conference 1994
INDIA-D    INDIA-D: The India News &                 4106
           Discussion Network at TEMPLEVM
           (Temple University,
           Philadelphia, PA 19122)
LIBREF-L   LIBREF-L: Discussion of                   3991
           Library Reference Issues
TESL-L     TESL-L: TESL-L: Teachers of               3971
           English as a Second Language
           List
CHINA-NN   CHINA-NN: China News Digest               3882
           (Global News) (Arizona State
           University, Tempe, AZ.)
FCSSCN     FCSSCN: FCSSCN-L stands for               3812
           FCSSC News Release
FEN        FEN: Fin Econ Net                         3780
SCHOLAR    SCHOLAR: SCHOLAR: Natural                 3657
           Language Processing
CHINA-NN   CHINA-NN: China News Digest               3548
           (Global News) (University of
           Texas at Arlington, Arlington,
           Texas)
APASD-L    APASD-L: APA Research                     3423
           Psychology Network
CND-EP     CND-EP: China News Digest -               3420
           Europe/Pacific
INDIA-D    INDIA-D: The India News &                 3280
           Discussion Network at UTARLVM1
           (University of Texas at
           Arlington, Arlington, Texas)
HUMOR      HUMOR: UGA Humor List                     3169
INDIA-L    INDIA-L: The India News                   3088
           Network (at TEMPLEVM) (Temple
           University, Philadelphia, PA
           19122)
INFOSYS    INFOSYS: INFOSYS - Newsletter             3068
           for Information Systems
WMST-L     WMST-L: Women's Studies List              3006
DECNEWS    DECNEWS: Digital Equipment                2991
           Corporation EDU News List
CHINA-NT   CHINA-NT: China-Net                       2982
NEWSLINE   NEWSLINE: Comserve News                   2973
           Service
INFO-MAC   INFO-MAC: INFO-MAC Digest                 2950
           (Rice University Institute for
           Computer Services and
           Applications, Houston, Texas)
CMPSU-L    CMPSU-L: CND Chinese Magazine             2921
           Network (Service II)
CNC-L      CNC-L: China News (Canada)                2889
GUTNBERG   GUTNBERG: Project Gutenberg               2861
           Email List
TFTD-L     TFTD-L: THOUGHT FOR THE DAY               2846
MEDNEWS    MEDNEWS: MEDNEWS - Health                 2845