Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:58:09 -0700
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:53:28 -0800, Ian Fairclough
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What's strange
>is that, like Pete Weiss says, it can be difficult to see a copy of my
>own post.  Even though I'm sending from Yahoo, the post does not appear
>in my Gmail.inbox. I wonder whether it goes automatically into one of my folders, even though my account isn't set up that way.

This is a known issue with gmail/google mail.  It seems that gmail, like MS
Exchange, uses the MessageID field (and/or certain other fields) of the
message to prevent duplicate emails collecting in your mailbox.

In this case when you forward from gmail to Yahoo, the 'chain' of the
conversation is shown here

            (Pete's reply msg ID)
            (gmail msg ID when you fwd to your Yahoo acct)

and further here:

So when this comes back to to gmail (as you sent a copy of your reply to your
own gmail address:

*-Comments: To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
*-To: [log in to unmask]

gmail will see this string:

and knows it already has a copy of this message.