Bill Salmon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:24:12 -0700
"I am no fan of re-distribution lists, but such things
exist"

"It is also possible that the individual is
subscribed to a sub-list of the list in question"

or they may be using a program that "retrieves" email
from all accounts they have, not paying enough
attention, and giving incorrect information as to the
account name. very difficult to trace as long as they
are not aware of the problem.

they "think" account "a" is getting the message, they
fail to realize that account "a" is set to retrieve
from accounts "b through ?". (a clue as to user
competance is their inabilty to send you full headers
without coaching.)

they inform you that it is account "a", you do
(almost)everything imaginable to remedy the situation.

you will never be able to make the link. search until
you are blue on the screen, you have faulty input, and
it will remain faulty until you correct the input
source. and you will be frustrated, as will your user.

inquire about additional accounts that they may have.

"retrieve all of your email to one account" sounds
really user friendly. it often may be... until there
is a problem.

while it simplifies the user interface (?), it
complicates the diagnostic process.

(i have hand crank windows in all of my vehicles. i
don't have to check fuses, verify proper power through
the switch to the crank motor, worry about stripped
gears, maybe a broken wire or corroded connection... i
just crank it up when it rains.)

please, never assume that your user is familiar with
anything. or worse, assume that because they do not
have your specific knowledge they are somehow less.

it is my job (and pleasure) to assist. or i wouldn't
have a list.

bill (keep it simple) salmon (aka: bill kiss)