Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:08:57 -0400
At 20:47 06/30/96 -0500, Winship scribed:
>> I own the law school mailing list, and wanted to implement renewals on the
>> list. Obviously, as a school list, there are calendar considerations. I used
>> this line:
>>
>> *  Renewal=         09/30,04/15
>>
>> Figuring that these were safe "in class" dates. What I didn't count on was
>> the string of renewal confirmations that flowed out immediately thereafter.
>
>The RENEW keyword can be a problem.  Setting specific dates is very risky.
>I believe the manual does recommend not using specific dates, but it's
>been a while since I checked that part of it.  We also have the problem of

No it doesn't. Their example uses specific dates (as well as interval...)
Why would dates be risky? They're handled by the same function as the
interval, right?

>list).  Periods (months, years) are a lot safer for this than specific
>dates.

Anyway, the interval doesn't work- I want twice a year renewals. Anyone who
subscribes at the beginning of the Spring semester (Jan 20), sets their
account nomail like a good camper for the summer in June, will get their
account terminated seven days after the July 20 renewal goes out.
Not counting the people who'll be troubled since I'm starting this over the
summer...

>> Also, how can I undo this mess? Will:
>> QUIET CONFIRM LAWSCH-L FOR *.*
>> work?
>
>A  quiet confirm listname for *@*
>                               ^
>should work, but keep in mind that that will reset the counter for all
>subscriptions, effectively obviating the RENEW keyword.  If you are going
>to use RENEW it would be best to forget about *@* for SET commands and
>such as you will be resetting the counter for all subscriptions, and the
>RENEW keyword goes by that counter (coded date of last activity).

Well, yeah- it'll clear the counter right now, then let it take effect on
the next renewal date, right? That's what I want....

>Douglas

Philo

Philo                          || quod per sortem
[log in to unmask]                || sternit fortem,
*2*E GULC        <*>           ||    mecum omnes plangite!
http://www.radix.net/~philo    ||         -Carmina Burana