Sat, 9 Sep 2000 22:17:35 -0400
>   Once upon a time, I remember that there used to be a server to
>which one could telnet and get the real identity of someone using an
>email account.  I thought that it was rs.internic.net  but this is
>clearly not so.

The rs.internic.net server has been supplanted by the web site
at http://www.whois.net/ but as far as I know, one could never
get the identity of anyone via this site. It only lists domain
name type information. With so many web based services offering
free email to anyone who asks, without doing any authentication
at all, what you want is impossible, even with a court order.