Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:45:30 -0500
Good idea, Jane.  I will do that tomorrow as I expect a resumption of some
kind when the sun comes up.

Thanks.

Barbara

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jane Lyle
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 8:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LSTOWN-L] AOL problems

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Barbara Passmore wrote:

> I failed to say that about 25% of the 900 subscribers are users of AOL,
> probably because many travel for the seasons as right now to get away
> from the cold North.  Until now, I have never had a bobble from AOL in
> the 4.5 years since I created the list.  Not that it matters, I guess.

A few months ago, AOL suddenly began rejecting our list posts with a
similar notice about an open relay. I quickly forwarded one of the bounce
messages to the university IT office (not to the Listserv administrator);
it was their first indication that there was a problem with mail (and not
just Listserv mail, apparently) going from indiana.edu to AOL. They
responded quickly, and they were able to resolve the problem within a
couple of days, by talking with the tech folks at AOL. The block was
lifted, and the mail started flowing again.

The same may be true in your case--in which case the university IT folks
may well be grateful to hear it from you before staff and faculty there
find that they can't get essential mail through to people on AOL. If your
list posts are being blocked, chances are that other mail is being
blocked, too.