Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 16:17:14 EST
On Mon, 7 Nov 1994 09:23:00 -0500 you said:
>What happens when the list owner of a list sets his/her own options
>to NoMail  while taking a well deserved break?!  Is the ListServ
>maintainer, ListMast, bombarded by the bounced mail that would normally
>go to the owner?  Thanks.

The NOMAIL option  pertains to one's subscription. It has  nothing to do with
ownership of a list. If you set  your options to NOMAIL for your subscription
to your OWN  list, you will still  receive the same error  messages and other
administrative  type stuff  about your  list that  you did  prior to  setting
NOMAIL. If you want to take a break,  see if you can find someone else to run
your list for you during your hiatus.  That's what I do.

By the way, I  always have my subscription to my busiest  list set to NOMAIL.
I have  another subscription  to that  list on another  account which  is not
authorized to own  that list. I used  my second subscription just  to read my
subscribers and  respond to them.  That way, if I  want to post  something to
the list from the owner's account, I can (note that I have send=private), but
my owner's account, which is where is do a lot of my work, isn't swamped with
mail from the list, just the  bounced message and other administrative notes.

To take  a break from running  your list, you  should ask for a  volunteer by
posting a  request on your  list. Ask if someone  would want to  volunteer to
run the list for you for some specified time or if someone wants to corun the
list with you.  If that doesn't pan  out, ask the listserv  postmaster at the
host where  your list is hosted  for some help.  You might not get  the help,
but it  can't hurt  to ask. Once  you find  a volunteer to  help you  run the
list, make that person an owner and make yourself a quiet owner.

Stan Horwitz, Consultant    | Bitnet           | Internet
Temple University           | V4039@TEMPLEVM   | [log in to unmask]

Manager of Help-Net and E-mail postmaster for VM.TEMPLE.EDU and TEMPLEVM