Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:13:33 +0100

This is almost as stupid as rejecting messages because they do not appear to be written in English. In the case of leading white space, it also shows a fundamental lack of understanding of RFC822. Leading white space is not significant, very much like the stamp that the post office puts on your letter (I mean the rubber stamp with the date and slogan of the day, not the postage fee stamps that the sender has at least some control over). The machine stamp might say something or other that the person writing the letter does not agree with. Noting that a lot of junk mail comes with a certain slogan stamped on the envelope, one might decide to throw away all mail with that slogan.

> Is the feature that inserts spaces into the Subject line likely to be
> removed in the future?

It was removed on 2001-12-19, but there were a few cases where leading spaces could still be generated in the subject line. This was fixed on 2002-10-09.

  Eric