Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Aug 1994 11:04:41 CST
On Mon, 22 Aug 1994 13:12:00 EDT, Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Setting [log in to unmask] MAIL, for example, also sets
>[log in to unmask] MAIL, even though I only want that to be so
>for one of the addresses.
[...]
>                                                    Can someone
>explain in simple terms what this tag is and how we can apply it so
>that our subscribers can continue on as before?

A listowner does not inherently have the authority to "use" this tag.
The tag is part of a node's (ex, DRYCAS, aka drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu)
BITEARN NODES entry, and is maintained by the node's registered Node
Administrator.  There are two options:  (1) the :internet tag is set,
and indicates the corresponding internet name for a particular BITNET
node, or (2) the :internet tag is not set, and does not indicate such
a name.

In the case of option (1), LISTSERV will treat the two subscriptions
identically, and a SET will affect both.  In the case of option (2),
LISTSERV will treat them as different "people," and a SET for one
will not affect the other.

But all of that is controlled by the node's Administrator, and you (as
a listowner) have no way to alter the outcome, one way or the other.

Now to get back to your original case, I'm not sure I understand why
it's an issue.  If the :internet tag is not set for a particular node,
then you can have your two subscriptions (which, in my opinion, is the
wrong goal to be shooting for) and everything will work like you want.
If the :internet tag IS set, then you only need one subscription, and
LISTSERV will accept posts from either address as if it arrived from
the corresponding subscriber.  That, to me, seems to be a much more
desirable situation.  But, in either case, there doesn't seem to be a
problem for you.  Like I said, I don't see why this is an issue.

>Thanks

Hope it helps.
Bill