Administrator Merkur-Owners List <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 May 1997 16:29:46 -0400
> When it is necessary to edit list message archives (notebooks) and you PUT
> back the revised archive files, how do you force LISTSERV to reindex the
> archives for searching?  Or does LISTSERV automatically do this upon a

Hi Ben,

From my experiencem and watching the file list activity after
PUTting a revised notebook file:

- When a LOG file is PUT, the old index files are deleted by
ListServ
- New indices are generated on the fly with the first archive
search via the www interface, or during the normal midnight
routine, whichever comes first.
- I haven't checked this, but it's likely they're regenerated by
the first email INDEX command as well.

I do periodic editing of my archive notebooks and ListServ
handles everything behind the scenes quite well.

The only downside is that if you have INDEX subscribers, the
message number pointers will be reassigned and all their indexes
received prior to the notebook update will be invalidated.
They'll have to do a database search to get a new index with
current message numbers.

Regards,
Roland Zuk, MERKUR-OWNERS