Sun, 10 Oct 1999 01:38:41 -0700
On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 03:39:10PM -0400, Pat Wolf wrote:
> On 7 Oct 99, at 19:51, Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > >You can edit a post and send it back to the list with an additional
> > >header "Resent-From: [log in to unmask]". It will then appear
> > >to come from the original sender.

BTW, this is not RFC822 compliant. "Resent-From: ..." is supposed to
reflect the user who injected the message, in this case, the list owner.

> > However this behavior *only* happens when the list is configured
> > "Send= Editor".  If the list is configured "Send= Private" (or any
> > setting other than "Editor"), the post will appear to come from the
> > *editor*, not the original sender, regardless of any "Resent-From:"
> > headers that may be inserted.
>
> My list (OES-L) has the following in its header:
>
>    Send=private
>    [log in to unmask] (this changes depending on the work load)
>
> These settings allow us to put everyone on review intially and take
> them off as they get used to the Topics.
>
> I just did one. When I approved the resent message and it showed up
> on the List it looked like it came from the original poster and it
> now contains these additional headers:
>
> Approved-By:  [log in to unmask]
> Comments:     Resent-From: [log in to unmask]
> Comments:     Originally-From: "Pat Wolf" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Isn't that what you are trying to accomplish?

Functionally, yes. However, there are two problems:

1) It doesn't work for me. Perhaps you can post the appropriate headers
for each post in the two step process? (To:, From:, Resent-*:, etc.)

2) It appears you must handle each message twice.

I've tested the method I proposed ("* Send= Editor") when I initiated
the thread. It seems to work the way I expected: The majority of
posters are set to be editors (set mylist editor for *@*), and the
problem posters are set to be non-editors one-by-one. When editors
post their posts go directly to the list. When non-editors post
I get a message to be approved, which I bounce to my list. "Bounce"
means I add the single line "Resent-From: [log in to unmask]" to the
headers. Nothing else is changed in the headers. I'm free to edit
the body of the message. The message I send back to the list is: