Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:34:13 -0600
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:50:13 +1000, "Paul Wayper (DPI ISD)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Firstly, is the name you use global, individual to the server or
>individual to the list?  I've had some users complain that they've
>subscribed on one list using the full name, only to find that on
>another list (that they've been IMPORTed on) that they're still known as
>"(No Name Available)".  How should it behave?

limited to the server.  see below about import.

>Secondly, is the name used for anything beside that?  I've posted to a
>list where I'm known by a persona I've named, and found that that
>moniker has been used in preference to my mailer's settings.  Should this
>occur, or is it some fluke in my system?

If your mailer puts out an address only (no name field) then the name will be
filled in by the server from it's record of you.  Otherwise, the mailer name
field should override.

>Thirdly: if someone is IMPORTed when they've got their full name already
>subscribed to a different address, and the IMPORT doesn't give a new name,
>does the IMPORTed subscription pick up their old full name?

No.  If the user were ADDed by the usual single line command without 'IMPORT'
then LISTSERV would lookup and find the name, but IMPORT bypasses this lookup
process using a name if supplied, otherwise 'No Name Available'

>Fourthly, if someone unsubscribes, is their name removed from the names
>register?

No, if they remain subscribed to other list(s) on the server.  If that is the
only subscription, then their name will be removed the next time the server is
started. (you see this in the log: Signup files compressed, xx records
removed)

>And one last one :-) Is it possible to populate the names register (if
>it's localised to the entire server) with a list we can prepare from our
>user database, without having to subscribe those people?

No.  What would be the point?