Russell Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 23:07:17 +0000
A couple of reflections from a long-time, but not especially knowledgable, listowner. I'm surprised about ASU here; my impression is that they've been a pretty reliable host for academic lists for a long time. On the other hand . . . many universities seem to have come to the conclusion that listservs are, um, old hat, and expensive, when people could use more trendy social media. That seems to me flat wrong, since in general "social media" assume that if it's more than 24 hours old it's not only forgettable, but hey presto! already forgotten. A substantial number have decided, or are deciding, that LISTSERV is too expensive to justify for the on-campus use it's getting. I've had to move one smallish group to GoogleGroups, and I know of another academic listserv that had to do the same because the host university dropped LISTSERV. The result has been that discussion has been essentially extinguished by the participation limitations of GoogleGroups. If you have to move this list off ASU, I wish you luck looking for a suitable host: it's not going to be easy. LISTSERV isn't, and shouldn't be, cheap.

-- Russ

-----Original Message-----

Sent: February-16-17 3:46 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: HISTARCH list has vanished completely

LSoft's ListPlex service, which provides hosting, is here:

http://www.lsoft.com/products/listplex.asp

This is for paying customers. Historically, they have donated hosting to a few non-profit orgs (I don't know if they are still taking on new groups):

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?INDEX

Not listed here is a group of cancer lists to which they donated services back in 1996. The non-profit org under which they were organized has pretty much dissolved over the years, but LSoft continues to host several of the lists, some of which are very active.

Charles Clausen

ppml-info.org

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:21:25 -0700, Anita Cohen-Williams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In the meantime, if I can get the list back and all the archives, I

>think I need to move it  to another host. Does L-Soft host lists?

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]

or click the following link: