Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:49:01 -0500
List-owners, if they choose, can also be a valuable virtual help-desk.
With 4,000 subscribers who receive 20-30 mail messages per day, to approx
1,800 host addresses, we are in-fact monitoring the customers' email
networks-systems-mailboxes.

Of course what we do with that information is up to each of us.  Right now
I am in contact with two institutions about their intermittant
undeliverable emails (one appears to be some gateway filter and the other a
change of IP address).

Skills in decoding were in part derived from paying attention to bounces,
interacting with other list-owners (you) and postmasters, and an interest
in seeing that mail is delivered to our customers.  It isn't necessarily
altruistic -- it is also to my own and institutional benefit.
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA