Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Jul 1994 20:54:51 MST
On Sat, 2 Jul 1994 20:38:52 -0500 Winship said:
>> The bad side effect shows up when Grumpy tries to signoff--he
>> finds that he can't.

  That happens to lots of folks anyway for the usual variety of reasons.

>There are lots of things we can do as listowners any time we feel
>like it, but the ability to do it has to be weighed against whether
>it's "right" or not.

  I'd consider it right for "the good of the list" under some
circumstances.  For the first time ever (six lists for four years
each) I unsubbed someone for cause.  Posting rants to a techie list
about the Haiti problems, and most of them illegal copies of
editorials and such off of Clarinet.  o-)

>If you select a node through wich to route this persons's list mail,
>and the node has nothing to do with either the list or the subscriber,
>isn't that putting an unfair burden on the unsuspecting node?

  No.  CUNYVM is an official Interbit gateway, so the difference is
really trivial to them.  If that is the only problem, route it through
your own.  o-)

>And what about the subscriber?  He thinks he is an equal among eguals,
>yet, unbenownst to him, has been singled out for special treatment and
>really isn't equal.  If the person is really that much of a problem
>I would think it would be better to just delete him.  The scheme given
>above seems like deliberately telling the subscriber a lie.

You're telling the subscriber nothing.  If he's savvy, he'll notice that
some of his posts don't make it, or will notice the forwarding line
at the top of the things you pass on to the list.  I tell my list
members how it works, and tell them that if their posts show as
forwarded, their address doesn't match their sub address, and they
may want to get it 'fixed', so their will be less load on me and so
their posts won't be delayed.  A number have done so; a number
haven't.  I'm considering doing it 'for' those regular posters who
have non-matching addresses, for whatever reason.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523