Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:19:54 -0400
** Sometime around 16:53 -0400 09/05/1999, Michael Holloway said:

>A warning in case anyone else thinks of trying this: Brightlight filters out
>LISTSERV command messages, and the messages do not appear in the list of
>filtered mail.  I've been reading about the Brightlight spam filtering
>service for some time, and I'm recently signed up for a beta test of the
>system on my ISP (Concentric).  It works beautifully for spam, my spam rate
>is reduced to a trickle, but it also removes responses from LISTSERV server
>commands.  Posts from my list are received, but messages for approval, or
>appear on a password protected web interface, but none of the LISTSERV
>messages ever showed up there.  I was slow to figure this out because of
>that, but verified it by unsubscribing to Brighlight and sending commands.
>Apparently, Brightlight filters out the message because of the blank
>Return-Path line,

ARRRGH! I have fought with more ISPs about that. Null Return-paths are
specifically permitted according to paragraph 3.6 of RFC821. It is most
annoying to hear that BrightLight, after months of fanfare, cannot produce
an RFC-compliant product.

>and some bug causes the messages to disappear into the
>ether.  Concentric responded very quickly to my initial query, and asked for
>an example message, but have not responded to multiple requests for news
>about a fix.  Pity.  It seems to be incompatible with LISTSERV, at least on
>Concentric.  Has anyone else tried it?

Not personally. However, I've tried MailShield, and recommend it. It was
developed by the same folks who developed the "Lyris" list server,
so it's quite compatible with list servers. Might want to consider
suggesting it to Concentric: <http://www.mailshield.com/>. The usual
disclaimers apply (except that I do run a bunch of my mailing lists at
lyris.net -- but that wouldn't exactly motivate me to recommend MailShield
if I didn't think it was a great product).

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/tsc/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>