"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:38:22 -0800
I have my external lists (public lists) set to attachments=no, to reduce
virus propagation.

However, someone pointed out to me last week that one of this lists is
allowing certain attachments anyway. Have not had a chance to try to
find out why (my listserv admin stuff is one of many jobs, and often
gets the back burner). However, this does, in general, seem to help with
the virus issue.

If anyone knows why some attachments are still getting through even
though I've configured the keyword this way, I'd love to hear about it.
(Guessing it's just non-standards-compliant email clients, but that's
just a guess.)

Oh, also, on our private lists, I have specified certain filetypes I
want to allow, and that seems to work very well (word and gif and excel,
I think, are the ones I've allowed thus far).

Shannon  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Carpenter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 7:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Questions about attachments and listserv

What is the take on listserv and sending out file attachments? I have
F-secure
installed and working with listserv ( Incoming ) and we are also using
Nortons
to protect the server.  We are worried about viruses being sent out. Are
a lot
of you sending out attachments ?

******
Rob Carpenter
Unix System Administrator
Phone: 516-562-5907
mailto:[log in to unmask] or mailto:[log in to unmask]
Prime Directive:  The needs of the many out weigh the needs of
the few or the one.
******

__________________

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily
represent those of CMP Media.

which
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
If you
are not the intended recipient of this message please do not read, copy,
use or
disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately.  It
should be
noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking
action or reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the
intended recipient is prohibited.