Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:48:45 -0500
On: Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:32:41AM -0500,Jan A Bergeron VMD Wrote:

} I have a question about reports like this:
}
} -------------------------------------------------------------
}      The following subscribers are currently being monitored:
}
}      Err First Last  Address
}      --- ----- ----- -------
}                 Last error: User unknown
}
}                 Last error: SMTP; 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
}
}      Subscribers will be automatically deleted from the list when delivery
}      errors have been  reported for a  period of  6 days or  more, or when
}      100 delivery errors have  been received,  whichever occurs  first.
} --------------------------------------------------------------------------
}
} Neither of those two addresses are subscribed to the list and never have
} been. I cannot find a valid subscription that might have a forward to one
} of those addresses.  And most importantly, if the software will delete them
} automatically when they have been reported for 6 days or 100 errors have
} been received, why doesn't it do it?  How does one get rid of these things?

As Pete said, some subscribers have thier mail forwarded to the bad
addresses.  Finding them is difficult.  What I have done a few times is
to send an individual test message with the address in the subject line
to every subscriber that is not on NOMAIL and see what bounces.  The
text of the test message says not to respond, but of course several do.
My process is not for all because it uses a script-driven mailer that
works from a list of subscribers.

These errors will never stop because they are not subscribed so they
cant be removed.

Pete's suggestion of probing is probably the next best way but takes
time.  Possibly cut it to 7 or 10 days rather than 30,  then once the
probe finds and removes them, cut it back to a longer interval, like
quarterly.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507