Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 16:29:20 EST
On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 16:25:54 -0500 Don Wiss said:
>On the Listserv where my lists reside at midnight, for more than an hour,
>the Listserv is busy sending out digests. Nothing else can get done. ...

>(1) Having someone at the site edit every header and add a digest setting.
>Since there are 1440 minutes in a day each list could have its own minute.

LISTSERV would do digest distribution at the next hour -- it doesn't do it
between hours regardless of the digest setting (i.e. 14:30 and 14:55 are both
equivalent to 15:00).

>(4) Get L-Soft to add some algorithm where lists with no Digest= setting
>default to a calculated time and not to midnight.

I can't speak for L-Soft, but digest distribution in 1.8d doesn't lock up
LISTSERV the way it does in 1.8c -- you can still get to archives, issue
commands etc.

I have some digests set to different hours here, but it's a bit of a pain.
For example, if there is a daily threshold (number of messages per day or
per person per day) LISTSERV resets the threshold at midnight.  (Well, and
also if the list is held and freed, but that's a different issue. :-))  But
all the people who get a digest at say, 3:00, view their "day" as the 24 hour
period starting at 3:00 and ending at 2:59.   And it just isn't so.

This diminishes the value of the threshold, since even with a per-day limit
of, say, 3 posts per subscriber, a subscriber can get 6 posts in a digest
just by sending 3 of them after midnight.  (Luckily then the troublemaker
will have used the quota for the next day too :-))

Bill