Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:38:36 -0600
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, John Lyon wrote:

>> I forgot to mention that the server sends us a message to be approved,
>> so we've been thinking that we're controlling the messages all along.
>> So, even though the messages go through whether they are approved or
>> not, they are sent to us for approval.

I do not understand this; on my list I only get messages for approval
either from non-subscribers or from those set to REVIEW.

>I've never really did what you are doing but I would guess you are confusing
>Listserv a bit with your crossed settings. 1st you have made all members editors
>which can post freely, then you put them on REVIEW which sends their post to
>the Editor (which they are) for approval, then you try to set them to NOEDITOR
>which is a user setting.

She checked the setting, she didn't set it.  NOEDITOR is the default.

>I'm pretty sure the Editor keyword   has preference over NOEDITOR, REVIEW
>and they shouldn't be used together.

The Editor keyword has preference over NOEDITOR but it does not have
preference over REVIEW.  REVIEW will cause the posting to be sent to
the primary editor, who can then approve the post whatever his or her
subscription status is.  I have heard of listowners who set
themselves to REVIEW to give themselves a chance let a post they
realize after the fact they didn't want to send quietly die; their
posts come back to themselves to approve and are sent to the list when
they do.

>They (Editor keyword and EDITOR user setting) essentially do the
>same things except the people used in the Keyword Editor= can be
>used in other Keywords like Errors-To= EDITOR whereas those just set
>to EDITOR would not get the list errors. You must remember one is a
>Keyword and one is a user setting and they have different uses for
>certain things.

That's correct.

>Your solution would be to keep your "Self-Moderated" list the way it
>is and not try to REVIEW an editor (all subscribers), or do away
>with this setup (Editor= listowner Send= Editor) and just set
>subscribers to EDITOR if they can be trusted or via the
>Default-Options= keyword.  Then if they need moderation, just set
>them to NOEDITOR as you are trying to do now with REVIEW.

I don't know what her solution is, but these are not the only ones; I
do what she is attempting to, and it works.

Dennis