Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:37:29 -0500
>On Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:05:30 +0000, Stephen Clark wrote:
>In the last mail Murph Sewall said:
>>
>> It seems to me that we HAVE reached a point that requires legislative
>> action (at least for lists, newgroups, and hosts in the U.S.) comparable to
>> that already enacted covering automated telemarketing and junk fax.
>
>ARE there any lists & newsgroups `in the US'? DOn't all such lists
>soon start operating internationally? WHat has US law got to do with me?

Although email is delivered internationally, many (most?) lists originate
in the U.S. (the two that I co-own do).  In addition, the spammers (so far)
are originating their messages from hosts in the U.S.

I recognize that any legislation would have international implications, but
I believe it IS possible for national legislative remedies to have some
effect (even if it only required the spammers to reimburse recipients for
any actual costs incurred receiving unsolicited email).

At the rate that it takes legislative bodies to act, the problem may be
better addressed by technology on the NETNEWS and LISTSERV backbones that
simply cancel ANY message posted to more than some reasonable number of
groups (a dozen, say).

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax