Tue, 6 Dec 1994 01:45:44 -0600
On Tue, 6 Dec 1994, Eric Thomas wrote:

> >As to item two,  that's a problem with Pine also, it  won't send a blank
> >file. I switch to Elm for that.
>
> Hmm, but  you don't want to  send a blank file,  you want to send  a file
> with just the  PUT line. At any  rate, you can use lb64.c  if your mailer
> won't do what you want.

Difference in semantics, I guess.  I don't consider the put line to be
part of the file, but instructions to LISTSERV as to what to do with
the file.  Anything following the put line constitutes the file itself,
so a blank file is when you send the PUT with absolutely nothing following
it, which you cannot do with some mailers, so just switch to a different
mailer.  You can call it PUTing a file with only the PUT line, or
PUTing a blank file, doesn't matter as long as we understand each
other.  To me, from a practical standpoint, the later is sufficiently
descriptive and quicker to type. ;-)

Douglas
        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner