Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:17:45 -0600
On Wed, 28 Dec 1994, Sylvie McGee wrote:
> > You can get advance notice of some of these by subscribing to LINKFAIL
> > and NODEINFO.
>
> Subscription info please? These sound like great resources!
LINKFAIL   [log in to unmask]
NODEINFO   [log in to unmask]

> Also, is there a listing or reference of the most standard error messages
> and their meanings? If there is, I'd greatly appreciate a pointer. I have
If you find a good one, please pass it on!  Error messages can be very
helpful as to the needed info to figure out what is wrong or they can
be total gibberish (that is literally meant, to the point of reversing
one's monitor display) or somewhere-in-between.  That's what listowners
are for, to figure out the things that make no sense to the program(s).
May make no sense to you right off, but at least you can think, which
the computers cannot do.  Eric, good as he is, couldn't possibly come
up with a program to deal with all the wild variations on error messages
(give him a few years and maybe he can handle the ones out there now,
but by then there will be just as many new variations).

Oh, and watch out for the systems which report errors for the *local*
userid and address of your subscriber, rather than the Internet
userid and address of the subscription.  I was frantic the first time
I got one of those (thanks to Melvin Klassen and Peter Weiss for helping
me figure it out).  Basically, sometimes you just have to puzzle it out
yourself, and, having done the best you can to no good end, scream for
help.

Douglas
        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L