Ingrid Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:46:25 +0100
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Hopefully one of them will lead me to a solution.

Ingrid

Ingrid Walker
Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
London
W1B 1NT
Email: [log in to unmask]

This email (and attachments) are confidential and intended for the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender, delete any copies and do not take action in reliance on it. Any views expressed are the author's and do not represent those of IOP, except where specifically stated. IOP takes reasonable precautions to protect against viruses but accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from virus infection. For the protection of IOP's systems and staff emails are scanned automatically."

Institute of Physics Registered in England under Registration No 293851
Registered Office:  76/78 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT

________________________________

Sent: Mon 26/06/2006 19:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: spam filter issue

"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
06/24/2006 01:52:00 PM:

> One of my subscribers has contacted me to say that he is no longer
> receiving list messages. I have checked is his subscription and
> everything is as it should be. His email address is a school based
> one and his network administrator contacted me to say that list mail
> was being filtered out by their spam filter (McAfee). They say they
> are not able to control this since Listserv continually changes its
> IP address. Is this correct?
>
> To be truthful I not very familiar with spam filters. I wondered if
> anyone had experienced a similar problem with one of their lists or
> could offer any advice.

It would seem the mail admin is full of canned meat product.  Listserv
does not change it's IP address, unless the machine it is on (actually,
the machine that relays the email) used a dynamic address via DHCP, but
that would just be A BAD IDEA.

Who hosts the list? Have you talked to the site manager?

Most spam filters (I can't speak specifically for McAfee's) allow you to
whitelist by domain, which should not care about the IP address anyways.
Hopefully he is whitelisting the domain of the listserv, not the person
sending the email.  In the case of this list, whitelist the domain
peach.ease.lsoft.com.

I spend most of my working day running spam filters, and I can honestly
say they are making email far less reliable.  They also provide a great
excuse...  "I'm sorry, the spam filter must have eaten it."