Bill Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:28:14 -0230
As a list owner of a number of active lists I get these kinds of messages
regularly.  Since all the mail comes to my mailbox anyway, I use a
combination of procmail and a perl filter to separate such messages.  When I
catch one, the perl filter automatically sends a command to
listserv to set the offender to NOMAIL.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitch Rerek" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: Out of office replies (again)

> Russ,
> We have a similar problem here with 'vacation rules'. Our email of choice
is GroupWise(GW). What we have done here is to mount a campaign to educate
end users about 'looping'. At least with GW there is a way of setting up
rules to prevent bounce looping of mail to a list.
> Our problem is when 'outsiders' cause the loop.
> Content filters can help as well as Pete points out but I'm not educated
enough to speak about them intelligently.
> >From what I have read (pg 44 of 1.8e manual) you setup a content filter
to catch several types of instances of auto generated messages. These
include 'out of office', 'on vacation', 'auto reply', etc. The documentation
explains a way of setting up a default template for all lists so that
individual list owners don't have to worry about it. It is a matter of
parsing the subject field for different types of auto generated responses.