Brian Leverich <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 12:07:28 PST
-- Your message was:   (from "Keith Moore")
  I think a class-action suit might be in order.  Perhaps the net could
  sue them for the cost of the disk space taken up by the number of
  spammed copies, times the number of sites on Usenet.  Even if it is
  only a few dollars per site the total amount could be substantial.

  How do we get something like this started?  Keith Moore
  ------------------

I don't think a legal remedy is worth pursuing, because it would take
too long, cost too much, and likely fail.  The courts tend to lag
behind technology and they tend to handle new problems poorly.

I think it would be more workable to simply take direct action.  We
should probably do the homework to identify who the bad guys are,
sit and cool off for a day, and then put out a call to our readers
for each of them to send a large file to the offending site if the
site hasn't cleaned up its own mess.

That would choke a corner of The Net for a day or two, but it would
probably make sites much more proactive about encouraging their users
not to do wrong things.

Sounds like panix is doing right things (at least after the fact) in
the case at hand, but I think sell.com could probably profit from a
few gigs of trash coming at them.  It might hurt psi, but it's a little
disappointing that psi is selling a feed to known net sociopaths like
Canter and Siegal.  -B

---------
Dr. Brian Leverich
Information Systems Scientist, The RAND Corporation
Co-moderators, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L