Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:32:16 -0400
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Last week, my Internet service provider (ISP) was hacked twice in two days,
> with the result of nearly all user files were destroyed.
>
> Because of this, my ISP has now disallowed the use of Telnet and FTP.  Now
> I've been introduced to software using encryption, SSH and SCP, which is the
> only kind my ISP now allows.
>
> After a friend told me that on his home cable modem connection that he gets
> about 20 attempted breakins per hour, 24/7 (thank goodness for firewalls),
> it became clear to me that Internet terrorism is not just the wave of the
> future, it happens on a daily basis.
>
> What does this trend portend for Listserv?  Is there a need for Listserv to
> start using encryption procedures to protect itself and those using it?

I have been managing a Listserv for well over ten years, first on an IBM
VM/CMS system, now on a Unix box, and moving soon to Windows 2000.  The
only things I see ocassionally are attempts to spam lists here, but those
attempts almost always fail because our lists are set up with
"Send=Private" and "Subscription= Open,Confirm" at the least.

Thus far, Listserv has remained immuned from hacking attempts. As long as
you keep up with patches and bug fixes in your operating system and mail
transport software, and keep a close eye on your Listserv, it will be
fine. Even with all this scare about the Code Red virus, the Windows 2000
system I am testing right now with Listserv is fine. Why? Because I keep
current with all the patches and bug fixes that Microsoft releases and I
subscribe to various security and software bug announcements lists to make
sure I remain updated on any issues which might threaten the security of
the systems I maintain.