Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:57:38 -0400
>when adding subscribers in bulk via the add/import command, is it possible
>to also set them for digest?

I've never liked the bulk-add commands, in part because I have never
gotten them to work.

I have moved several lists from majordomo to Listserv. I started with
the list of reflector subscribers. It was trivial in BBEdit to
replace each [Return] with

LISTNAME Subscriber [Return]quiet add LISTNAME<space>

which would turn a list like this--

into

quiet add LISTNAME [log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber
quiet add LISTNAME [log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber
quiet add LISTNAME 72662,[log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber

Admittedly, you end up with people's names all assigned to LISTNAME
Subscriber, but the REGISTER command can fix that.

Once that's done, I effect the same changes to the list of digest
subscribers. After I have converted all *those* names to the form
listed above, I do another search-and-replace on the *original* data
set, changing [Return] to

[Return]quiet set LISTNAME digest for<space>

I thus end up with a text file I can E-mail to Listserv containing:

* QUIET ADDs for all reflector subscribers
* QUIET ADDs for all digest subscribers
* QUIET SET to DIGEST for all digest subscribers

Works like a charm.

--
           Joe Clark
           <http://www.joeclark.uni.cc>