Dan Kanagy <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 07:29:48 +0900
Periodically I'll have someone complain to me that, while they
succeeded in subscribing, they are unable to post to the list I
administer.  In nearly every instance this happens, there is a
mismatch between the "Sender" and "From" headers of their e-mail
("Sender" may be [log in to unmask] and "From" [log in to unmask])  The
"Sender" address seems to become their subscribed address, and
naturally anything they send to the list bounces.

I'm facing this problem again, and I've instructed the subscriber that
as far as I understand the situation, the "Sender" field with the
different address is not needed, and her problem would go away if the
field is removed.  I also noted that 99.9 percent of subscribers can
post to the list without problems and that this indicates to me that
her problem is a local misconfiguration.  Her support people, however,
seem clueless and need help in identifying the problem.

I think I'm correct that the problem isn't with the list, but I don't
know enough about the situation to provide an authoritative answer. I
realize this is likely an elementary problem, but I would appreciate
it if someone would be able to explain to me how the "Sender" and
"From" fields should be used properly so that one can post to LISTSERV
lists.  I do have a copy of RFC822 but I find it overly terse to reach
a definitive conclusion.  Can you help me persuade her support people
about where the problem is located and what needs to be done to fix
it?

Thanks!

Dan Kanagy               finger for PGP public key            [log in to unmask]
Tokyo, Japan                                              [log in to unmask]