Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:24:10 -0500
On Monday, Nov 11, 2002, at 11:17 US/Eastern, Tabariasl, Hamid wrote:

> Is there a way to automate user list creation through ListServ? As of
> now, Users go through ListServ Web interface and request for a new list
> to be created by filing out a form. As soon as I receive the form, I
> log
> on to the ListServ and go through List Management area (Server
> Administrative area ) and create the list.
>
> This above process is manageable as long as you are creating few lists
> at a time. But, we have number of MailServ users on our VAX clusters
> who
> would like to migrate to ListServ sometimes in the near future.
>
> Any suggestions to automate this process would be apprecaited!

I set up a perl CGI script that helps automate the process. The script,
generates the
header for the new list, based on inputs the user selects from an HTML
form.
The script then mails the header to Listserv and creates the requisite
archives
directories for it. This has been working well for us for about two
years. The down
side is that only certain IP addresses (our Help Desk consultants'
computers)
can access the form.

I am working on a totally revised form that authenticates each user via
our
new LDAP directory and allows them to create their own lists without
having
to contact our Help Desk, but that project is quite a ways off.