Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 14:08:51 CST
On Thu, 31 Mar 1994 20:12:15 +0200, Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> said:
>On Wed, 30 Mar 1994 20:13:00 EST Wayne Marr <[log in to unmask]> said:
>>UCHIMVS1.UCHICAGO.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
>>UCHIMVS1.UCHICAGO.EDU received negative reply:
>>553 header line too long

>UCHIMVS1  is telling  you it  is  incapable of  processing your  message,

Right.

>presumably because  one of  the header  lines is longer  than one  of the
>buffers it is using.

It's possible that the buffer problem is on UCHIMVS1.  But it says:
>>UCHIMVS1.UCHICAGO.EDU received negative reply:

That sounds to me like UCHIMVS1 received the 553 from the next hop
(probably either gsbsun or gsbvxb).  In other words, UCHIMVS1 received
it fine, and tried to send it to someone who rejected it with the 553.
But it's hard to be sure.

>                     The standards allow up to 1000 bytes and the message
>doesn't seem to ever use more than 160. The only solution is for UCHIMVS1
>to fix their mail software.

Agreed, except that I think it's getting through UCHIMVS1.  It's the
next guy who needs to do the fixing.

Bill