Amy Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:06:19 -0500
Actually, this is a spam related message.  IPSWITCH's IMAIL server has a
"feature", which when enabled, does not allow the delivery of messages with
the <> FROM, which is something that has been around for a long time to
avoid mail loops.  That message you received is close to IMAIL's verbage when
that feature is enabled.

Nearly every time the problem of not getting LISTSERV mail comes up with one
of my listowners or mail list members, it is nearly always traced to either IMAIL
or SENDMAIL people enabling this supposed anti-spam feature.

I send the postmaster the relevant RFC's and have been known to pick up the
phone to call them to let them know to undo it.

BTW, I removed the FROM: <> as a spam filter long ago after discovering it
does serve a useful purpose.

On 19 Jun 98, at 20:36, Clark Pickett wrote concerning Re: [LSTOWN-L] Error
report query:

> When we received the Daily error monitoring report for that day, my
> address was on it with the following error message:
>
>   2 06/17 06/17 Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
>                 Last error: SMTP; 553 Bogus message-IDs not allowed!
>
> I have never seen this particular wording before, and it is not
> spam-related as the message Cleo referred to was.  I have no idea what it
> is supposed to mean, but I am not worrying about it.

Amy Stinson, MCP
Amy's Answers LLC
Phone (317) 885-1741
Fax (317) 885-6589