Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:54:23 +1000
>I'm running listserv 1.8d and I would like to add an archive from a
>mailing list on another system and integrate it as part of the archives
>for a new list on this machine....Let say the new list name is xxx..I
>edited the xxx.html file and added a line pointing to the file which
>contained the old archive and this was fine, except that when listserv
>automatically updates the archives, my xxx.html file gets
>overwritten...Any ideas as to how I could accomplish this?....Thanks

If you merely want to include a hyperlink you'll have to edit the one of the
WWW templates in either default.mailtpl or default.wwwtpl.  (You *may* need
to have Site Admin access in order to do this.)  The reason your HTML file
keeps getting overwritten is LISTSERV dynamically generates <listname>.html
using these templates and inserts new data where appropriate.  Look in the
Owners Manual, Chapter 9.

If you prefer to integrate the old archives into your new LISTSERV archive,
that's a different kettle of fish.  What is the original (old) list format?
There's a useful utility on LSoft's FTP site that will migrate Listproc
notebooks to LISTSERV format (look in ftp://ftp.lsoft.com/CONTRIB/ and read
the 00-index.txt file).

The other alternative is to hand-edit the old archive into something
LISTSERV will recognise.  It's tedious but not impossible.

Hope this helps.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.